Sunday, July 12, 2009

William C. Depuy

William (Billy) Depuy was the engineer and top turret gunner of the Hetzler Crew that was shot down over Germany on March 23, 1944. Last year, I spoke with 2 of his nephews on the phone, both of whom knew him well and sent me a few letters and pictures. One lives near Chicago and the other lives near Buffalo. In speaking one of his nephews, he mentions that a woman from New York City called after his death and indicated that they were engaged. I have no idea who this woman is, but it would be beyond my wildest dreams to find her if she is still living. I hope that she googles Billy's name, then this page will come up and maybe she will contact me. Billy was known, as most members of the Hetzler crew were, as being a ladies man! I can tell from his correspondence which I have read that he had a great sense of humor as well. He wrote to his niece shortly after arriving in England, that they were stationed just outside of town (Norwich) and that "there are plenty of women and you know how I hate that." I also read a letter written back to him by his niece Marion:

Dear Uncle Bill, Have been sort of waiting for a letter from you. I know you are probably busy these days. With Easter mass on hand - have had you in my mind - hope another won't pass before you get home. Sort of a lot to ask for - but we can hope can't we?

Sadly, this was written 13 days after he was killed in action, I can only imagine how heartbreaking it was for her to have the letter returned stamped missing in action.

The photo to the left was taken during the final phases of bomber crew training in Tonopah, Nevada on December 16, 1943. He wrote a note on the back: "I don't look in too bad of shape, do I?"

If you are a relative, friend or have any information about William C. Depuy, please contact me: kirbhund at sbcglobal.net

No comments: