Thursday, June 25, 2009

Jimmie K. Adkins

Jimmie K. Adkins was the ball turret gunner on the Hetzler Crew that was lost over Germany on March 23, 1944. I am doing a lot of research on these 10 guys and I am going to make a blog entry about each one of them over the course of this summer. I believe that Adkins was the youngest member of this crew, having just turned 21 in January. He is also one of the 4 members of the crew that is not buried together at Jefferson Barracks. His remains are actually buried in his hometown: Hoisington, KS. After I complete much of my work on Donald Davis, I will probably focus on Adkins since he is the next closest to me geographically and he, like the pilot, is another fellow Kansan. I found this obituary in his hometown newspaper which I had requested last winter from the Kansas State Historical Society, which is a top notch resource for this type of research.

If you are a relative, friend or have any information about Jimmie K. Adkins, please contact me: kirbhund at sbcglobal.net

No comments: