Thursday, May 21, 2009

SNAFU


A few weeks ago I received this medal in the mail. It was addressed to me, but inside it had a receipt for Albert Simaz, but no address or any other information, other than the fact that he had ordered it over 2 years ago. I have no idea why it was sent to me. I tried to call the Army Medal procurement center at the number indicated on the receipt, but after fighting the voice mail I gave up and took matters into my own hands. Using my skills that I am developing researching veterans, I soon found his enlistment records and then found his phone number and address on the web. I called him to confirm that he was indeed the rightful owner of the medals and to make sure I had the right address. He was certainly surprised to hear from me. I sent him the medals and refused his offer to compensate me for my troubles. Today I got a thank you card:
Mr. Kirby,
Thank you so much for forwarding my medal that the Army sent to you by mistake. It's good to see they haven't changed much since I was there (all fouled up). I was in the 1st Calvary Div. at wars end. We were one of the first units sent into Japan as occupation troops.
Thanks
Al Simaz

No comments: