Saturday, April 21, 2012

Chris' Pancake House

Last week I had the privilege of having breakfast again at Chris' Pancake House. This blog entry also inaugurates a new sub-category on my history blog: Historic and/or classic dining! Chris' is located on "The Hill" in St. Louis, MO. "The Hill" is an Italian neighborhood that is best known for its many restaurants that serve dinner. I had been introduced to Chris' for the first time when I was invited to breakfast by my friend Skip Berger to talk about some research I was doing on a WWI soldier. The next summer, Suzanne and I brought my mom and step father here for breakfast. My stepfather, Dan, especially enjoyed the marble rye toast. The waiter let Dan know that it was delivered by a local bakery, Vitale's and that it was just two blocks away. We then visited the bakery, where Dan bought 2 loaves and brought them home to Springfield (MO) to enjoy! This last week was our best visit yet. Suzanne and I had a stressful morning at Children's Hospital talking to the neurologist about Teddy's possible brain surgery this summer. We took a much needed break afterwards to Chris'! I had the bacon and eggs...which I highly recommend! I rate the bacon a 10, the eggs 10, Hash browns a 9 and the cakes a solid 8.  The atmosphere out in the atrium was especially nice with the sun shining in, but it is always a little chilly, so I recommend bringing a jacket on warm days since the a/c will be nice and cool. There was a nice mix of people eating there and the wait staff was very friendly. According to a little online research, Chris' opened in 1987. I definitely recommend Chris'!

No comments: