Friday, November 20, 2009

One of my Kids...

A sad day for me today. I saw in the newspaper yesterday that Sgt. Chris Cooper died in Iraq while serving in the Army. He was one of my original students in German I, back when I was a first year teacher. I have lost students before, but this was the first one to be lost while in service to his country. Amazingly, before joining the Army, Chris had served 5 years in the Marines and had already served one tour of duty in Iraq. The obituary said he absolutely loved the military and that he was known for random acts of kindness such as "dropping a twenty-dollar bill in the lap of the homeless to picking up tattered American Flags that littered the streets after September 11th." Many friends and brothers from the Army and Marines left messages on his obituary site in the paper such as the following:

To the family of SGT. Christopher Cooper. All of Bravo Company 2-28 wishes to extend our sincere condolences on the loss of your son and our brother in arms. He was a great Soldier and leader and will be missed greatly.

Chris did well in life despite my novice skills as a teacher that first year...I just wish he knew how proud I am of him.

3 comments:

Rick said...

R.I.P. Sergeant Christopher Cooper. Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Rick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

to server is one of the greatest acts of kindness. thank you and god bless Sergeant Christopher Cooper's family.