Friday, October 30, 2009

The Harold Hetzler Crew

In the course of my research, I was sent a new photo that means a lot me and certainly will mean a lot to the family members of the Hetzler Crew. This photo was graciously sent to me by one of S SGT Donald Davis' nephews. I believe this photo was taken near the end of October, 1943 in Elko, NV. The whole crew had a 6 day leave and really enjoyed themselves; "tore up the town" as they themselves put it. Since they were shot down and killed in action only a few months later, I am always happy to see that they had a good time in their short lives. The officers and enlisted men in this crew are obviously very close and disregarded the protocol that mandated that officers and enlisted men were not allowed to fraternize. I am sure that Harold and the other officers were in charge in the air, but on the ground, they were equals. This may have its roots in the fact that Harold was an enlisted man for 3 years before being promoted to Flight Officer. I believe he understood his men, showed them respect and knew how to create Esprit de Corps. This is a skill that many leaders don't seem to understand anymore, but in this circumstance, it was a matter of life and death to get the best from your men.

If you are a relative, friend or have any information about any of these men, please contact me: kirbhund at sbcglobal.net

No comments: