Saturday, August 15, 2009

S SGT Richard B. Clark, Big Fork, Montana

Staff Sergeant Richard Benjamin Clark of Big Fork, Montana was the B-24 waist gunner on the Hetzler Crew that was shot down over Germany on March 23, 1944. I have just begun doing a little serious research on Clark. I am researching all 10 members of the Hetzler Crew. I am doing a series of presentations in each of the men's hometowns. I am also writing a book about the crew and my odyssey to learn more about their lives. Of the 10 crew members, only Richard Clark and Donald Davis are still buried in Europe. Clark is buried at the Ardennes American Cemetery in Neupre, Belgium. His parents, Don and Nellie Clark moved to Montana by way of Nebraska and Kansas. By 1930, according to the census, they had 6 children: Effie, Vera, Richard, Verne, Wanda and then James. Of course, they may have had more children after 1930. I am currently searching for his siblings. I have a few promising leads so far. The census list Clark as 12 years old in 1930, which would have made him about 25/26 at the time of his death. He was one of the older crew members, along with the pilot and co-pilot. For the air war in Europe, these guys were considered an older crew, with their ages ranging from 21-27. It was quite normal for the pilots to be about 21 and the crew to be even younger. Richard Clark's serial number was 19019740. I list this as an additional way that search engines can find my blog and hopefully family members and others can find me.

If you are a relative, friend or have any information about Richard B. Clark, please contact me: kirbhund at sbcglobal.net

No comments: